Being diligent about our carbon footprint in summer can be tough considering how often we rely on our air conditioners and other devices to keep us cool. But understanding how to reduce electricity consumption of air conditioners is vital during our humid summers not only to benefit the environment but to help save money. There are many ways to be more energy efficient, while also allowing fresh air to enter our homes.
If you’re wondering how to use air conditioners economically, we have some key tips and strategies to help you do so. The following are air conditioning tips to save energy as well as maintain fresh air flow in your home.
Air Conditioning Tips to Save Energy
Saving money and energy is really all about being persistent. Follow these simple steps to keep money in your wallet and cold air in your home:
- Set your thermostat higher during the day or when you’re not home
- Shut all blinds and curtains to keep the sun out
- Make sure your home is well insulated with no leaks
- Ensure all windows and doors are always shut while your AC is running
- Regularly clean and/or replace your air filter
- Use a programmable thermostat
How to Get Fresh Air in Your Home While Being Energy Efficient
Breathing only manipulated air is not good for anyone, whether it’s winter or summer. A big part of running your AC is allowing ventilation to occur and fresh air to circulate. This can be done in a couple of different ways:
- Open windows and screen doors during the early morning or late evenings to allow fresh air to enter your home. Make sure your AC is turned off while doing this.
- If your HVAC system is equipped with a ventilation system, utilize this as frequently as possible.
- There are a variety of air filtation devices in the market. These devices come in a number of sizes, from table-top versions to whole-house systems. They are used to remove particles, allergens and pollutants from the air in your home.
Ensure Your Air Conditioner Stays Well Maintained
To keep your AC working properly and efficiently, follow these simple steps:
- Keep your outdoor AC unit clean of debris in and around it
- Ensure vents and ductwork are clean
- Add a degree or two to your thermostat and only run it when needed
- Try not to use heat producing appliances while the AC is running
- Periodically inspect all ductwork and vents for any leaks
One of the biggest tips is to have your AC inspected annually, or even once every warm and cool season, by trained professionals like the expert team at Comfort Plus ClimateCare.
If you want to know more about how to reduce electricity consumption of air conditioners or have any other questions, contact your trusted heating and cooling company that cares about the comfort of your loved ones.
 Top AC Energy Saving Tips. Building Performance Institute. August 16, 2017. Available online https://www.bpihomeowner.org/blog/top-ac-energy-saving-tips .
 Improving Indoor Air Quality. EPA. Available online https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/improving-indoor-air-quality.
 Undorfer, Stewart. 8 N-Cost Ways to Improve Air Conditioning Efficiency. Central Heating and Air Conditioning. Available online https://www.centralhtg.com/blog/8-no-cost-ways-to-improve-air-conditioning-efficiency.