As a first step, it’s a great idea to hire an HVAC company such as Comfort Plus ClimateCARE to inspect your heating/cooling system and conduct maintenance every Fall and Spring. They’ll do things such as check and clean the wiring and mechanisms of the unit, which is bit more challenging for the average homeowner.
But you can prolong the life and increase the efficiency of your system if you follow this simple maintenance plan. Some things you should do immediately; other tasks only need to be done seasonally or once a year.
- Buy a better filter if you haven’t already.The new high-efficiency pleated filters have an electrostatic charge that works like a magnet to grab the tiniest particles — even those that carry bacteria.
- Replace the filter at least every 90 days.But check it monthly. If it looks dark and clogged, go ahead and change it. If you have pets, you’ll probably need to change every month.
- Make sure there’s at least two feet of clearancearound outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps.
- Remove debris,such as leaves, pollen, and twigs weekly during spring, summer, and fall from top and sides of outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps. Don’t allow the lawn mower to discharge grass clippings onto the unit.
- Monthly, inspect insulation on refrigerant linesleading into house. Replace if missing or damaged.
- Make sure unit is level.Annually, ensure that outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps are on firm and level ground or pads.
- Stave off clogs.Annually, pour a cup of bleach mixed with water down the air-conditioner condensate drain to prevent buildup of mold and algae, which can cause a clog.
- Shut off the water supply to the furnace humidifierin summer. In fall (or when you anticipate turning on the heat), replace the humidifier wick filter, set the humidistat to between 35% and 40% relative humidity, and turn on the water supply.
- Never close more than 20% of a home’s registersto avoid placing unnecessary strain on the HVAC system.
- Replace the battery in your home’s carbon monoxide detector annually.
Being prepared and staying ahead of issues is always a smart idea. At Comfort Plus ClimateCare, we offer the WeCare Maintenance and Protection Plus Plan which provides peace of mind and a guarantee of year round comfort. If something happens to your heating or air conditioning system, an expert service technician will be there fast to take care of it and with a WeCare Protection Plus Plan there is no extra charge, even after hours.
This is the most comprehensive protection you can get with an HVAC system maintenance plan. Even if you never need major repairs, seasonal maintenance through the plan will keep your heating and cooling system operating smoothly and efficiently. The cost is only $59.99 per month plus HST and it is the best investment you can make in your HVAC system.
Contact ComfortPlus Climate Care to inquire about our WeCare package and we’ll get you started on a Fall maintenance program: (519) 658-6441. Not only do we provide great products and services, we’re here to help keep your home running efficiently and save you money!