Open concept homes are an increasingly common design for new homes and home renovations. While open concept homes bring many benefits, they can be harder to save energy in, since the space is not as segregated.
Benefits of a High Efficiency Furnace
High efficiency furnaces are one of the top options for saving energy in open concept homes. High efficiency furnaces use green technological advancements to reduce energy consumption and as a result, decrease monthly household utility expenditures.
In addition to saving on your monthly utility bill, other benefits of high efficiency furnaces include:
- Quieter operation
- Safer performance
- Better environmental impact
- Government rebates are sometimes available.
Contrary to what you may initially think, high efficiency furnaces run more often. However, this does not mean that they use more energy. By running more often, they can ensure that your home is kept at a more even temperature without having to work as hard.
Other Energy Saving Tips
Beyond a high efficiency furnace, there are other things you can do to save energy in an open concept home:
- Plug into power bars – plugging different electronics and appliances into a power bar rather than directly into the wall saves energy.
- Replace older windows – old windows are a major culprit for wasting energy. If your windows are old, letting in drafts, gathering condensation, or are cracked, these are all indications it may be time to consider replacements.
- Use energy star appliances – like high energy efficient furnaces, energy star appliances use technology that is designed to consume less energy.
- Improve insulation – ineffective insulation in the walls, roof or attic can cause heat to escape easily and therefore energy consumption to increase.
- Improve the basement – sealing air leaks and insulating pipes in the basement is another way to save energy.
Comfort Plus ClimateCare Has You Covered
If you are ready to make the change in your home to save more energy, contact us at Comfort Plus ClimateCare. We are ready to help!