Fall is in full swing and winter is just a few weeks out. It’s a little chilly now, but eventually it’s going to get REALLY cold.
Read on to find out what we’ll do and why it’s important.
WHAT: Replace the furnace filter
WHY: Save money and breathe easier
Over time, the following contaminants get trapped on or in your furnace filters:
- Pet dander.
- Insect remains.
Come winter, your home heating system will need to work much harder than it should to deliver warm air throughout the home.
That can raise your monthly hydro bills while shortening the lifespan of your furnace in the process.
Additionally, a dirty furnace filter negatively impacts your indoor air quality.
Those pollutants listed above? They’ll hitch a ride with the warm air traveling through your home. Eventually, they’ll end up in your lungs and on various surfaces (like countertops, tables, and furniture).
WHAT: Cleaning and inspection
WHY: Keep your family safe all winter long
Even if you’ve been using your furnace sporadically so far, it’s possible that other areas of your furnace are dirty and/or require inspection and replacement/furnace repairs if necessary:
- Burners: Your burners won’t ignite on demand. In fact, if they make a banging sound, that means excess gas is exploding, which is as dangerous as it sounds.
- Gas lines: Even the tiniest gas line leak is potentially catastrophic, especially if a flame (such as from a candle) is lit in a room that’s full of natural gas.
- Air ducts: Duct cleaning and inspection gets rid of any contaminants lurking in there. It also spots leaks/holes where hot air can escape and helps seal them up.
- Electrical inspection: Your furnace is full of electrical components which must be perfectly aligned. Anything that’s out of sync of malfunctioning impacts its safety and effectiveness.
Does worrying about your furnace keep you up at night?
Download your FREE copy of The Top 3 Homeowner Concerns About Furnaces & How to Overcome Them and start sleeping better.
WHAT: Thermostat check-up
WHY: Improve furnace efficiency
When looking to increase or decrease the heat in your home, you head over to the thermostat.
And if you have an older, programmable thermostat, the smallest issue can negatively impact things like:
- How effortlessly it switches from one more to another.
- Is there a delay in temperature change or does it happen instantly?
- Temperature accuracy.
- Battery lifespan.
If it’s discovered that your current thermostat is reaching the end of the line, your Comfort Plus ClimateCare technician may recommend an ecobee Smart Thermostat.
If you aren’t familiar, smart thermostats help reduce energy usage and bills by “learning” your family’s habits and adjusting accordingly.
- Cut down on energy consumption when the house is empty.
- Providing monthly energy reports and recommendations on how you can use and spend less.
- Wi-Fi enabled so you can adjust the temperature from anywhere with your smartphone or tablet.
WHAT: Exterior flue check
WHY: Eliminates harmful gases
Do you remember the last time you took a peek inside your furnace exhaust flue?
It’s something many Brantford, Cambridge, Hamilton, and surrounding area homeowners neglect or forget about.
But inside that flue are things like:
- Animal nests.
The more clogged your outdoor furnace flue it, the harder it us for gases such as carbon monoxide and methane to safely exit your home.
Your outside furnace flue is an integral part of your home’s ventilation system.
So it’s incredibly important for it to be thoroughly inspected and cleaned.
Keep your family safe and warm this winter
Fall furnace maintenance goes a long way towards ensuring your family’s safety and warmth on the coldest winter nights.
Plus you’ll give yourself total peace of mind knowing that it’s done.
Get it done sooner rather than later. Schedule your fall service maintenance visit today or contact us with any questions or comments you have.